Monday, September 1, 2014

Happy Labor Day

Dear Second Grade Families,

I can't believe we will enter our 3rd week of school tomorrow!!  It's been an exciting 2 weeks and I believe we are settled into a rountine.  Between this week and next week I will be setting up my volunteen schedule for those parents who wanted to volunteer in class, specifically those parents who wanted to help out with math facts.  Thanks so much in advance for your eagerness to help!!

This past week was our first week of homework using the IXL Program.  It has been a real learning curve for me!!  Thank you for your patience as we worked through some issues with log in information.  I'm hoping next week will be smooth sailing.  Remember that your child should be spending 15 minutes per night on the assigned objective.  We have been using the program with our Chrome Books in class everyday so your child should be getting to be an expert on the log in procedure.

Speaking of IXL, here are the assignment objectives for homework this week...

Tuesday  C.3  Number Words Up to 100.
Wednesday  M.2  Place Value Models
Thursday  C.4 Number Words Up to 1,000

I wanted to let you know that I assign the objectives based on my lesson plans for math at the beginning of the week.  There are times that I have to slow down or speed up based on how the students are working through the the objectives.  That is why the objective that your child writes down in their planner can sometimes differ from the assigned objective in the Blog.  If your child writes down a different objective that is because we got further or in some cases not as far in my planned lessons.  While the objectives for homework are listed in the Blog please use what your child writes in their planner as the homework for any given night.

I am entering uncharted waters for me with this Blog.  Kim Sorensen and myself recorded some math videos last week.  The math videos will be targeting concepts that we are working on in class that are difficult.  Kim and myself recognize that the way we are presenting some math concepts in class are very different from the way we learned the same concept.  This can be a real challenge when you are trying to work with your child.  Our first 2 videos are on renaming numbers, we are hoping to expand on these videos to support you as you support your child.  I am hoping that I am successful in attaching the videos.

I hope that you are having a great long weekend!

Sincerely,
Anne Bloomfield

No comments:

Post a Comment