Sunday, January 4, 2015

Welcome 2015!!


Happy New Year written in

Dear Parents,

Happy New Year!!  I hope you enjoyed your holiday season as much as I did.  It was great fun to spend time baking, shopping, and enjoying the company of family and friends.  My vacation was very relaxing and I feel so ready to come back to school.  I can hardly wait to see all the kiddos!!

I'd like to send out a huge thank you for all the wonderful Christmas gifts.  At the teacher breakfast on December 18th, I was presented with a Christmas stocking filled with all sorts of wonderful goodies including $100 in Spa Cards.  I was very overwhelmed with such a generous gift.  The teachers at Oasis traditionally enjoy a "Spa Day" at the end of the year, so I will be holding on to the cards until then.  Thank you so much!!

Before vacation in math, we finished up our unit on money and worked on end of the quarter assessments.  We will start 2015 with measurement.  The IXL site does not match the concepts we are working on this week, so homework will consist of worksheets this week.  Here is the homework schedule for this coming week.
Mon.-Worksheet
Tues.-Worksheet
Wed.-Practice Test B
Thurs.-Assessment Day (no homework)

Report cards will be going home this week.  Keep in mind that students are graded on a 1 to 3 scale with 3 being mastery.  Many standards will be worked on throughout the year.  We are looking for students to be making progress towards mastery.  If you have any questions about your child's report card, please contact me. 

As I look back on 2014, I can't believe the changes I've seen in the students.  With 2014 behind us, I'm excited to see the growth and development that the new year will bring!

Sincerely,
Anne Bloomfield

Here's some information from Mrs. Jackson...
Welcome back 2nd graders!


What a rejuvenating, relaxing break. I spent the first week making holiday rounds and the second week in Eureka, California visiting family, playing games, making crafts and spending time on the beaches. My favorite part of this vacation was showing my girls the giant redwoods that I spent my summers growing up in.  After all of this, I am excited, ready to be back and to begin focusing on new areas of literacy growth.


During the month of January we will be reviewing short and long vowels and learning more about prefixes and suffixes.  We will also be using non-fiction books to do research during Work on Writing in our Daily Five rotation.  


Our small group Guided Reading books this week will include examples of persuasive text, since we are still spending time learning how to differentiate author’s purpose (persuasive, informative or entertaining).


This week our Spelling Word Family will be the ank family.  Please remember that you can use Spelling City  to practice these words at home, since our weekly lists are posted there.  


Your child should be receiving their Progress Reports from the last quarter shortly.  Please contact me if you have any questions. It was exciting to see so many students meet standards that they were previously approaching.  Throughout this year, I will continue assessing any standards that still need to be met and working with small groups, so that each child can be as successful as possible at all required 2nd grade standards.


Let’s get back into the groove this week!


Sincerely,

Kristen Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment