Sunday, January 3, 2016

Happy New Year, Welcome 2016!!

Happy New Year 2016 Image
           
 
January 4, 2016

Happy 2016 Bighorn Families,

Happy New Year!!  I hope you enjoyed your holiday season as much as I did.  It was great fun to spend time baking, shopping, and enjoying the company of family and friends.  My vacation was very relaxing and I feel so ready to come back to school.  I can hardly wait to see all the kiddos!!

I'd like to send out a huge thank you for all the wonderful Christmas gifts.  At the our staff meeting on December 16th, I was presented with a Christmas stocking filled with all sorts of wonderful goodies--passes to an activity at Wild Island (there may be some lazer tag in my near future), hot cocoa, tea, and quite a few yummies that involved chocolate and or peanutbutter.  I was very overwhelmed with such a generous gift.  Thank you so much!!

The week of before Winter Break we did a lot of review, assessing and reassessing in both first and second grade classes.

We are starting off the New Year with measuring.  Second graders will be expected to work on and meet the following standards:

  • measure to determine which objects are longer than others
  • estimate lengths using centimeters, inches, and feet
  • measure an object twice using different units of measurements
  • select appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks or measuring tapes in order to measure accurately.


Monday
Page 94
Tuesday
IXL S.15 Choose the appropriate measuring tool
Wednesday
IXL S.2 Measure using a inch ruler
Thursday
IXL S.8 Measure using a centimeter ruler

Report cards will be going home this week.  Keep in mind that students are graded on a 1 to 3 scale with 3 being mastery.  Many standards will be worked on throughout the year.  We are looking for students to be making progress towards mastery.  If you have any questions about your child's report card, please contact me (294-4307).

As I look back on 2015, I can't believe the changes I've seen in the students.  With 2015 behind us, I'm excited to see the growth and development that the new year will bring!

Sincerely,
Anne Bloomfield

No comments:

Post a Comment